Tuesday 12 April 2011

Scorchio! (River, Roof, Retiro)

Phew, Easter is nearly here. It's feeling like a bit of a long slog at the moment, with none of those nice Spanish days off at this time of the year. Spain still being Spain though, most companies take the whole week off for Easter so that means a break for us English teachers too. I decided a while ago not to go home for the Easter break to save money (I was going to buy a €350 train ticket), so I'll still be in Madrid but have a bit of time to relax, see some stuff and do some sunbathing. It does mean that I'll miss out on seeing some friends and family, but I realised I'll be back in a couple of months anyway as most of my teaching contracts run out at the end of June and I've got a job sorted for the summer in the UK (working at festivals - can't wait, much needed change of scene from teaching English!), and I've got a group of mates visiting the week after (to avoid the royal wedding). I can't believe I've got so little time left to be honest. The last couple of months have absolutely flown by. Still, I suppose 2 and a half months is still quite a while left.

Highlights of the week have included a big picnic in Retiro park in the scorching heat, the scorching heat in general, some lovely sunsets from our roof and discovering some more of the newly-opened riverside area. The roof is still proving to be far and away the best thing about this apartment, and is really beautiful at sun-down, with swifts and swallows wheeling and diving over the rooftops and aerials and the mountains hazily visible in the distance.

The riverside area, which I wrote a bit about before, is still being worked on, but the entire west bank is now open, from Principe Pio right down to near Legazpi. With the spring freshly sprung, it's arrival is very timely and every time I've been down it, it's been packed with people. It's not just the weather though, it is great. One of the best municipal projects I've seen. Being out of the real city centre, it feels more like a beachfront, with kids playing in sandy (and amazing-looking) playgrounds by the side of the pathway. The pedestrian bridges across the river are creative and well designed, there's some nice artwork on the buildings (although more would be welcome) and, although much of the vegetation is still growing and they're having finishing touches put to them, the park areas look like they'll be great. Way to go Madrid! I was cycling along there on Sunday afternoon while an Atletico game was going on in the Vincente Calderon on the city side of the river and the atmosphere was great. It's got to be a massive extra reason to live in the south west of the city now.



I was also out in Malasaña on Saturday night, when we came across and joined in on a huge botellon (street drinking social) in a square near Tribunal. There must have been at least 200 people sitting around chatting. Great atmosphere despite the lack of chairs, tables or music, with the street vendors making very efficient waiters, until the policia arrived and everyone quickly picked themselves up and made a hasty exit in the opposite direction. I noticed that someone had found this blog the other week (I know, I need to get a life and stop checking this kind of thing) by searching "what goes on in a spanish square after dark" on Google which is a curious thing to want to know, but I suppose a lot of sitting down, drinking and eating is mainly the answer!

Word of the day: gente - people

No comments:

Post a Comment