Tuesday 29 March 2011

Guardian Spain Features

Not that my pictures aren't good enough or anything, but the Guardian newspaper are doing a week long feature on Spain and sent a photographer to Madrid, the results of which you can see here. There's also an article on Brits integrating in Spain, although it mainly focuses on the South and expats in the capital don't really get a mention (even though there's loads here too, mainly teaching bloody English). I'm amazed there's so many though, 2% of the population! Also made me think about how I'm going to vote in the upcoming AV referendum in the UK.

They're also doing a 'Twitrip' around Madrid on Thursday which should be interesting, although they describe Madrid as "the jewel in Spain's crown" in the preamble, which I'm not sure that many Spaniards, or even Madrileños for that matter, would agree with. Partly because people love their hometowns or 'villages' so much, and partly because Madrid is largely (and correctly) viewed as being polluted, clogged with traffic and having (comparatively) bad weather. Don't get me wrong, I still love the place, but it's definately a very touristy thing to say! What do they think this is, Paris?

No comments:

Post a Comment