Tuesday 4 January 2011

The Smoking Ban

I was going to tack this onto the end of the last post but it deserves one of its own to do it justice really.

On the 1st of January Spain's smoking ban came into effect, banning smoking in all bars, restaurants and, as far as I'm aware, clubs. (Apart from really big restaurants which are allowed to have a smoking area or something - not quite as blanket as England's one). This is a huge thing. If you used to think it was bad when people could smoke in pubs in England, that was nothing compared to some bars and clubs I've been to here. I actually couldn't stay in one, despite still being a smoker at the time. On average, I'd estimate that if you walked into a bar in Madrid before Christmas, about half the clientele would be holding a lit cigarette at some point over a 15 minute period.

Now that I've quit (I still haven't had one since November, pat on the back for me), I think this is great. Infinitely less temptation on a night out as well as non-reaking clothes and all those reasons that I hated non-smokers for giving when they brought it in in England. Unlike the British smoking ban though, they've oddly chosen to bring it in in the middle of winter when its freezing cold outside, rather than summer when everyones out on the street anyway.

I've only been to 1 bar since I got back and my smoker friend reluctantly went out for one, but by 11.30 there were a couple of people unconcernedly lighting up at the bar in front of the staff. Eventually the manager/owner grumpily chased them outside, but I think this is going to be a familiar battle over the next few weeks, if not months. I shall keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment