Monday 24 January 2011

The Parrot Invasion and Other Bird Mysteries

After breakfast on the roof terrace under more perfect blue skies, we took a trip out to Casa de Campo yesterday, in what Madrileños seem to refer to as 'the forest' to the west of the city. It's one of Madrid's many strange features that make it different to other European capitals (can you imagine the entire of west London being given over to a massive forest? Didn't think so). The metro goes out to the southern edge of it so you emerge with it stretching out in front of you with the Sierra in the background. It's a very Spanish looking landscape, quite dry and sparse with relatively small trees. We set off for a walk through said trees in the bitter cold and in under a minute had spotted some little green parrots. I'd glimpsed some before in amongst some pigeons but thought they might be quite rare, but not here! After walking a little further we came across literally hundreds of them squawking noisily from the trees, ground and air. They're a brilliant green in the sunshine, with blue/grey wings that flash when they fly. My picture doesn't do them, or the number of them, justice unfortunately as they're very hard to photograph and fly off easily. I thought they might be native, but I've just looked it up on the internet and found this article from 2002 that says that they're Argentinian and people bought them as pets, set them free because they were too noisy and now they're flourishing. From what we saw in the small section of the forest we explored they certainly look like they have been dramatically increasing in numbers, but you still rarely see them in the city centre.


This isn't the only bird mystery I've been wondering about. What are the huge flocks of birds that fly in formation over west Madrid towards the Sierra every evening and where are they going? Why do wood pigeons skim the trees at dusk, gathering at the Palacio Real in a massive flock? If anyone can tell me I'd greatly appreciate it! Anyway, Casa de Campo's nice for an escape from the bustling city, and I'm sure will be great for a day out picnicking when its a bit warmer.

After a sucessful wander last Saturday, this week we decided to do it again but to make it more interesting by picking a random metro stop out of a hat along with a 'mission' to complete and splitting into competing teams. We met in Sol and Chueca was picked out with the task of getting a photo with the strangest looking person so off we went. I must admit, my team got a bit sidetracked by coffee and sheltering from the cold, but we did explore a new bit of town between Chueca and Alonso Martinez. My flatmates, however, excelled themselves with a series of photo's including one with the pointy-bearded barman in El Tigre to claim victory (drinks were on me), despite Luke being on crutches due to a knee operation. (Sidenote, many Metro stops have lifts, but those that don't aren't easy to negotiate on crutches with small flights of stairs all over the shop). Unfortunately we decided it was too cold and late to do the next mission (find the best thing for free around Gregorio Marañon) but are going to have round 2 next week.

Lastly, I'm on the job hunt again as my language school job isn't giving me any hours due to lack of students, so more info on that coming soon...

4 comments:

  1. Hola! que tal? really nice blog! We did exactly the same as you (turn up in Madrid on a whim, with no job and no Spanish) in 2009 - and we're still here!

    have you got a CELTA? you'll find it much easier to find a teaching job with one than without.... and that's anywhere, not just in Spain. You could do one while you're here - International House do them and probably some other places as well.

    buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate I'm Peter and living in London and have just completed my Trinity TESOL course and am moving to Madrid next week, I was wondering if you have an email or if you can respond to my email because I need some insider advice about finding work with academies in Madrid.
      Thanks so much. Peter
      pjslondon@hotmail.com

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks, yeah it does feel a bit catching!

    Do you think so? I've found it very easy to get jobs without a CELTA (or anything for that matter), but maybe I'm not playing the field enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah.... I didn't mean to say it's impossible without a CELTA. But you'll find that the Academy jobs (fixed hours, one location, contract not self-employed, higher pay) are easier to get with on than without.... I guess it depends how long you plan to do it.

    ReplyDelete