Monday 29 November 2010

Wintery Feelings

It's been getting colder and colder over the past couple of weeks, and cloudy days have become more frequent (although still below half), and today the first tiny flakes of snow started falling, which I'm now watching from whats become my local internet-and-coffee bar in La Latina, La Potente. It can still be quite warm in the sun, and I found myself sweating after walking quickly up to Puerta de Toledo yesterday, but out of it its bitterly cold. On the plus side though, it means its all feeling quite Christmassy all of a sudden. The Christmas lights are all on in the centre and there's a huge metal Christmas tree in the middle of Sol. They've really gone to town on Calle Mayor, with the air above your head packed with glowing rings nearly all the way from Sol to the Cathedral. There's a Christmas market in Plaza Mayor too, but it dissappointingly doesn't sell mulled wine.

Baby eel tostas, a Madrid delicacy
I went on another wonder round the El Rastro market, and Old Madrid in general yesterday, and got you a picture of the Madridian 'baby eel' tostas (although I still haven't plucked up the courage to eat any yet). I'm making it a New Years resolution to buy one thing from El Rastro every week - there's such a wierd and wonderful collection of stuff on offer, I really just want all of it! A bust of Caesar? Sure! A bronze walking cane? Absolutely! Yesterday I limited myself to a book of postcards of Madrid from the 50s to send to a friend I promised to write to (instead of just blog about...).


The cellar at Viva la Vida


I also stopped off at the amazingly decorated and super cool Viva la Vida vegetarian restuarant in La Latina, which operates a buffet system where your food is weighed at the till - although beware, the plates are quite heavy! The upstairs decor is pretty good and theres a lovely relaxed atmosphere to the place but the basement is even better, one of those arched cellar rooms, with the brickwork sprinkled in glitter and plants growing up the walls. The foods great too, definately recommended.

I'm having to go back to England this week for a court appearance - or as I like to think, I've been summoned back by Her Majesty (or at least her Prosecution Service). This has frankly proved to be a huge pain in the arse. Booking flights (as I've had to) for specific dates with two weeks notice is no easy, or cheap, feat and requires you to negotiate the web of lies and deception that is booking a cheap flight online. Quote: £150... actually £250... with 2 connections... and so on. I've ended up, exasperatedly, booking a return flight to Edinburgh for about £220, including a free unconfortable nights sleep in Amsterdam airport on the way there. Very frustrating. I wanted to get the train but for a return to London you're looking at at least £500. I think for Christmas, seeing as I've got time, I'll go by coach again which works out at about £160 return to London, but does take 28 hours each way. The idea of going back feels quite strange. I got my first real pang of homesickness the other day. Definately looking forward to a pint in a pub.

What's the court appearance for? Obstruction of a highway, during a protest at Manchester Airport. Oh the irony. To find out more or lend your support, please see the campaign website: http://www.manchesterairportontrial.org/, or Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manchester-Airport-On-Trial/162820910424769?v=info.

Mustachioed goblets on Thanksgiving
On a (sort of) lighter note, tonight is El Clasico - Barca vs Real, which the Spanish press has been working itself into a frenzy for for weeks, only added to by Mourinho's posturing. Living near the Vicente Calderon, my two flatmates have become sworn Athletico fans, but personally I'm not so fussed, and I'm kind of rooting for Real, although they're are generally regarded as the team of the aristocracy here: they're part funded by the King (Real = Royal), Barcelona's Barcelona innit? We live in Madrid!

Ah, I nearly forgot, my first Thanksgiving was great! It felt like a practice run for Christmas dinner. I have to say, despite being initially sceptical, I was massively impressed by our host's veggie Tofurky! The objective, I was informed by several Americans is basically to eat until you can't anymore, wait, and then continue, which we did whist sporting fake mustaches and drinking from goblets found in our grandma flat. I'd decided to represent by dressing as Britishly as possible, complete with Union Jack hankerchief sticking out of waistcoat pocket and effecting my best 'ghastly' Prince Charles accent, but wasn't quite ready for the American reaction to this. I've never felt like such a novelty act in my entire life!

No comments:

Post a Comment