Monday 4 October 2010

Ready? Set? Sort of.

I only decided to move to Spain a couple of weeks ago, in Paris actually, cheesily enough watching the sunset from the steps of Sacre Cour. Why move to London when you can move anywhere? I want to learn Spanish and want to move somewhere different, definately somewhere warmer, but not too far away. So, after a slight detour to Bestival, I sat down and started doing some research into moving to Spain.

I was going to need a job, money being a bit tight, so I thought I'd start there. First problem: I don't speak Spanish. A few searches for 'English speaking jobs in Spain' later and things weren't looking good, unemployment is currently around 40% in Spain and the essential thing most websites advised was being able to speak the language.

Undeterred, I set about finding email addresses for every English and Irish bar in Madrid and Barcelona (I hadn't made up my mind where exactly I was going at this point - wherever they would give me a job was my thinking). Eventually, after countless 'Enthusiastic UK barman seeks job' emails, I came across a couple of teaching jobs that didn't require any Spanish. I've never taught before but worth a try right? To cut a long story short, after an interview in London, I start training for Vaughan Systems in Madrid next Monday (more about this later).

Last minute travel plans ensued. Not wanting to fly (for environmental and luggage reasons), I tried to book a train which sounded amazing, like a hotel on rails: beds, a dining car, a bar, watching the sunrise over breakfast and all that. My advice: book it early! Last minute is near impossible, especially if your on a budget, so instead I'm getting on a Eurolines bus at 8am tomorrow morning for a gruelling 28 hour coach journey with no beds, no dining car, no bar, no sunrise and no breakfast.

Hostel booked for a couple of weeks during the training, I'm hoping to meet some people and find a flat before long. I've been thinking a good way to learn Spanish would be to move in with some non-English speaking Spaniards but on the other hand that might be a little too deep end. Anyway, I've got a couple of days to get orientated in this city I've never been to, before I start the (apparently very intense) training.

I have clothes, a passport, a laptop, a trumpet, and 2 pairs of boxers (I forgot the rest), wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Barney

    Hope you don't mind me contacting you... it's just that I've found your blog really interesting reading as I'm planning to do just the same as you early next year and to be honest I'd love to pick your brains!! I want to disappear off to spain to teach english and experience a little vida loca myself. Just wondered what are your main tips? To say I find the prospect a little daunting is an understatement! How easy have you found it to meet people? Did you go there with your flatmates or did you meet them there?

    Again, hope you dont mind me contacting you, and keep up the blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    No worries, my brains are here to be picked.
    My main tip would probably be to pick up as much Spanish as possible before coming. Its not essential by any means (I didnt know a word) but its better to be able to communicate with people!
    It's easy to meet people, in the hostel when you arrive, through jobs and just chatting to anyone you hear speaking English! Spaniards are generally pretty friendly too and teachings usually fun. I met my flatmates from the training for my job, they were in exactly the same position too.
    Let me know if theres anything else you wanna know, and don't be daunted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just started following your blog, looks quite interesting I must add. I REALLY want to move to spain in the next year and I'm hoping to get other people's experiences

    ReplyDelete